Thursday, October 30, 2014

Oslo, Norway 9-12-14 to 9-16-14

    Stepping out into the streets of Oslo my expectations were null. Not knowing much about the city or what to truly expect I went in with a blank opinion, leaving with one full of positives, admiration, and a want to return. 
    Making my way via the Ruter# (Oslo's bus system) to the hostel, I dropped off my luggage and made my way into the streets to explore. Strolling downhill to the center of town the city had a great charm to it with art and sculptures ever present as well as most of the buildings maintaining their old neo classical architecture. With the city being on a peninsula, water is never far and making my way down to the harbour I was greeted with a spectacular view. As shoreline touched the waterline, tall masted ships filled my view as my gaze etended to the islands in the back. Akershus Castle rose to my left, with a commanding view over the bay, and to my right lay the rest of the city.
     My first afernoon in Oslo I stumbled across a food festival by the water, affording me the oppurtunity to sample some norwegian cuisine and try some norwegian beers. As the days went on I had the chance to see the Royal Palace, Parliament Building, the National Gallery (home to Edvard Munch's famous painting "The Scream of Nature" of just "The Scream"), City Hall, Museum of Cultural History, Viking Ship Museum with ships from 834 AD and ealier, as well as taking a ferry out to Hovedøya Island, home to an old Cistercian Monastery, off the coast of Oslo. 
    On my final day I decided to make the trek up to Frognerseteren, a location high above Oslo to the outskirts of the city. Passing by the Holmenkllen Olympic Ski jump, I pushed on to the top only to be rewarded with a magnificent view. As I looked out from the little cafe at the top all of Oslo lay below, the rich blue sky matched the waters as island after island extended on into the distance. A feeling of peace and solitude emanated from the strong Norwegian sun. A city of such uniqueness, a place I had never thought of going, became a location that I will always think about returning to, as one city in such a large and beautiful country as Norway only scratches the surface of travel.


 Food Festival
 Oslo City Harbour
Oslo Opera House
Frognersteran

No comments:

Post a Comment