Saturday, March 15, 2014

Malahide: A Castle and a Beach 22-2-2014

    With my time being occupied by study, football(soccer), and a numerous amount of other things as of late, my posting frequency has been atrocious. No bother though! I now have a week off to write away...
 
    So, another weekend and another oppurtunity to gracefully leave the Maynooth Campus via the Dart, this time finding myself en route to Malahide, a seaside town similar to Bray.... well actually, not at all like Bray... more like a distinct town with its own little charms, a beautfiul beach, a castle stoked in history, and an airy feel of relaxation.
 
    Stepping out of the station I had no immediate plans. Unsure of my directon, and after glancing left, then right, I headed straight, following sign after sign to find myself entering the grounds of Malahide Castle. Dating back to the 12th Century, the castle was erected by the Talbots, an English family originally tasked with settling and protecting the harbor in Malahide. The Castle went from looking like a castle to more a country estate after Oliver Cromwell commandeered it during his time in Ireland, which, after regaining possesion, the Talbots took down its fortifications and remodeled. After touring the Castle itself, I stepped on out to explore the castle gardens.

    From the castle to the sea I went. Stepping onto the beach, the Irish sea was rolling out in front of me with an illuminating sun just breaking through the clouds. Simply setting myself down on the sand, it was easy to see where that feeling of relation was exuding from. The simple beauty of Ireland could be experienced easily whereever in the country one is and by spending my afternoon strolling along the beach, delving into a bit of history, and simply enjoying the wonderful situation afforded to me, I headed home content of heart.

 Malahide Castle

Malahide Beach
Malahide Beach

Malahide Town

Malahide Castle Gardens


No comments:

Post a Comment